Monday, September 29, 2008

Luminous Flux

Hi all. Lee here (that's me in the mask in the photo to the left). I'm collaborating with fellow artist, Bubba Carr, to produce a piece for Le Flash called "Luminous Flux". I'm also one of the contributing video artists for the Garage Projects exhibition, ONE MINUTE/ONE NIGHT - so check that out too. I'm sure that Bubba will want to contribute to this blog at some point, but I will be your tour guide this evening.

About us (short version): Bubba is a professional choreographer and dancer. I'm an experimental multi-media artist. Bubba and I decided to create a project together under the guise of an experimental arts collaborative - BUBLEE. For Le Flash, we've designed a performance that will span several blocks of Peters Street and Walker Street. We wanted to bring a sense of contemporary theatre and movement to the audience. As much as I like to blog, I won't go into too much detail here. So in short, we'll have several human fuses at "stations" around the perimeter of the event location, eventually being awakened and joining a procession that leads to an "enlightening" finale. I've included some conceptual images that I've photographed here. Hannah, a friend and one of the performers, is seated on one of our prototype stations. At this point, we know what we're going for conceptually. Now it's more interesting to talk about the process of bringing the production to Le Flash. 

One of the best things about staging a performance such as this is getting to design and build the structures, to design the costumes, to cast the performers and workshop the movement. It's all coming together nicely. All of the light structures for the "stations" have been built with very little blood shed and they just need that last coat of black paint. The costumes are still in the design/production phase and we have made the schedule for the first movement workshop. Bubba has dedicated his life to movement and dance, and as the choreographer of the duo, I know he's been itching to get to this part of the project. I am the geek - I like the production stage...designing and making the props, staying up late working out details, working like crazy to stick to schedule...etc. We've both been involved in other projects happening simultaneously with this one. After this weekend, we put everything else down, and go full steam ahead with the final details of our piece.
We can't wait to meet everyone else working on the event. (I say that, even though I'll be the shy one in the corner looking very uncomfortable). 
That's all for now.
Until next time,
Adieu! 
Lee






0 comments: